Is Vientiane safe for solo female travelers?
Yes. Vientiane is generally safe for solo female travelers. The city is tiny and simple to explore, and the people are kind and friendly. The city is well-lit and police monitor it; thus crime is minimal. However, like with any trip, it is essential to be aware of your surroundings and take the required safety precautions.
Here are safety tips for solo female travelers in Vientiane
- Always be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts. Avoid walking alone at night and be careful of the people who follow you.
- Dress conservatively to avoid unwanted attention.
- Avoid dark alleys and live in bright lights.
- Carry your whistle in case of an emergency.
- Inform your family and friends about your current location and plans to return.
- Always carry your cell phone and charge it.
- Don't carry a large amount of cash and use a credit card or traveler's check instead.
- Before you go, investigate the area and see if there is a potential risk.
- Learn some basic phrases in your local language to help you communicate with locals.
- Stay in a safe hotel or guest house and make sure the doors are always locked.